Thursday, October 20, 2011

Heavily distressed dresser

This week, I've been planning, painting, and prepping like crazy. I have another week and some change in days before I move into my booth at Lisa's II.

I've been working on a chair, a bench, two dressers, a bed, a mirror, a lamp, and an end table this week. Busy, busy. Today I'm going to show you a dresser. Unfortunately, since my battery was dead while I was working on this, I don't have any great progress or a really great before picture.

Remember my post about all the furniture I picked up at one spot? Well, this little dresser was the one that started it all.


There she is, upside down in all her dirty, cute glory.

Dirty? Did I mean to put that there? Umm, yes. It's amazing what you can't see, until you clean. I went through half a roll of paper towels cleaning her off. I used a scrub brush and a mixture of water with a few drops of dish soap to scrub all the gunk and grime off that had built up over the years.

As I cleaned the little dresser off, I started to see a lot of imperfections. I had glue down veneer, repair/replace the drawer slides, pull old contact paper out of drawers...the list goes on. The most disappointing bit is that I had to fill a big chipped out spot on the dresser top, which meant that I couldn't just stain the top like I had originally planned. It would have to be painted.


Recently, I saw a desk that Little Miss Penney Wenny finished, which led me to the beautiful dresser by the talented Miss Mustard Seed, Marian Parsons. Both really inspired me to paint this little dresser the way I did. I love that Marian allows imperfections show through, and lets an old dresser be just that.  Old.  Imperfect.  Wonderful.


I let this dresser be just that.  I covered the entire dresser in a really thin wash of Louis Blue. Then I hand painted the details and covered the top again with Old White.




I heavily distressed the entire dresser, then went over it with a clear wax, and a dark wax on the details, imperfections, and exposed wood.







So, what do you think? Love it, or hate it? If you love it, tell me! If you hate it, well, be nice.


Until next time,



Sharing with
Savy Southern Style
Primitive and Proper
Miss Mustard Seed
No Minimalist Here
{Primp}
Domestically Speaking

15 comments:

  1. wow, kayla! that is fabulous! i love the colors you used and the distressing is awesome! funky, chic, and it makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweeeet redo! Love that dresser and great pickups...don't you just love that? When you get all the things you want at the right price and then start thinking of how yummy things will look after they are finished? Love your blog! Love your work!
    Your new follower,
    Kennesha
    www.restorationhouseinteriors.blogspot.com
    (Visiting happily from MMS's Furniture Feature Friday)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just loving this dresser!

    The way you accessorized and photographed it is just wonderful!

    Cori
    Starview Sonnet

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVE it!
    I love heavily distressed furniture and yours look stunning.
    Great job!

    sayuri

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful! I love it! Great Job! I am also a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another new follower :) Your projects are great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it definitely! I especially love the blue and great job on styling it with all your great accessories. Thanks for sharing this week at Primp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for all the sweet comments, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the dresser, the paint is fantastic, i would love to feature you on my revival monday, please let me know if this would be ok with you,
    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad to have come across this lovely dresser. I have "heavily" distressed a piece and was wondering if it was a mistake but after seeing yours I think it is perfect. Good job you!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Currently heavily distressing a french provencial china cabinet. My first attempt and I've done a couple thin coats of white and sparingly in some areas and heavily sanded and distressed it...I was thinking I had gone too far but when I look at yours it let's me know I'm doing okay. I have a long way to go yet but I'm liking how it looks so far and I love the process. I love your dresser :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! If you have a detailed question, please email me at ConfessionsofaDIYaholic@gmail.com.